Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Getting Back at the International Speakers Network

See the comment below -- someone has asked what we can do to put the International Speakers Network and Book a Speaker. net out of business.

What I know is that there are dozens, if not hundreds of people who have paid money for services never rendered. Promises made, not kept. Frustration -- and David Wright and his son, Greg Wright, laughing up their sleeves at all of us who sent money and really expected they were going to help us out!

The point was made that "none of the people who worked there two years ago are there now." There is at least one -- Dona is still there as far as I know. I also know Brenda went out on her own to scam people all by herself. Turns out she just finished her 10 years of probation for stealing a quarter million dollars from her last employer! (Wow -- must make it tough to find a new job. No honor among thieves?)

If you have had problems with the International Speakers Network, here are some things that you can do to make sure others don't waste their money:
  1. The more information written online about ISN and its bad business, the more chance someone searching for information about them will find it. What we know about rising in the ranks in search engines is that the more links that come IN to a site, the higher it ranks.
  2. If everyone who has been scammed starts a blog like this, or is willing to link from an existing website, then all these posts will rise in the search engines. So you can start by writing a blog and linking to this blog: http://burnedbyisn.blogspot.com/
  3. Once you have written a blog, let me know, and I will link back. We can start a whole group of blogs that are linking to each other -- and they will all rise in the search engine results.
  4. The Rip Off Report already shows up on the first page of search results. Go to the Rip Off report and add to the information I have started there. You'll have to sign up, but you'll find it can be useful. I started the first post there many months ago, and since then, someone from ISN (pretending they weren't!) posted. Then just a few days ago, someone else posted about problems again. The more people who post, the better. Here's the link: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/291/RipOff0291778.htm
  5. File with the Knoxville Better Business Bureau. There are a few, and because David Wright replies with so much bull-pooky, you won't get your money back. BUT -- file anyway. It takes only a few minutes and it causes ISN to have to do the paperwork. Even if you don't get your money back, you get the satisfaction of knowing that the BBB knows these guys are scam artists. Here's the link for the BBB: http://knoxville.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=57&bbb=0533&firm=11488 It does say ISN has an "unsatisfactory" record -- but that and a quarter....
  6. Lawsuit -- I'm going to let someone else pick up the ball on that one. It's easy enough for me to get back in touch with all those I know have been scammed -- probably about two dozen people I know about who have reached out to me. We can always reach out to others on their list of speakers.

Please let me know if you do any of the above and I'll do updates to this blog.

7 comments:

Milo Shapiro, speaking coach, PublicDynamics.com said...

I wish you great luck in dealing with these scammers, but there's a typo in your note that could lead to a good business being hurt by accident. Note that International Speakers Network is the group being discussed here, but this last posting references International Speakers Bureau -- a legitimate and well-respected bureau. If anything, ISN named themselves similarly to play off the good name of ISB.

Although I've never worked with ISB, I've only ever heard good things about them. They are certainly not ISN.

If it's possible to correct this posting, please do. If not, please be careful in any future postings not to accidentally hurt the name of a group that has earned the respect of speakers.

Anonymous said...

I found you through your link on SpeakerNet. I'm so glad I listened to my gut and didn't sign up with them! I had a feeling it was a scam. So sorry for everyone who has been taken advantage of my these people. Thanks for doing the speaking community a service and working to get the word out about these people!

Carol

Burned by ISN said...

Milo,

You were absolutely right -- I had used "bureau" instead of "network" and I had it wrong.

It's been edited. Thanks for the heads up.

Carol,

Glad to have saved you the trouble.

BBI

Randye Kaye said...

Well, I'm guessing ISN is at it again - it's November, and I just received my first 3-mail from "Dona Merritt" at ISN. Thanks for the heads-up.
Randye Kaye, voice talent/communications speaker, presentation coach

Burned by ISN said...

Randye,

Yes. They seem to roam the internet, looking for email addresses for unsuspecting people who they can take more money from. Not sure how else they can make payroll?

Glad you found us first! Thanks for writing.

Burned

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this...the first time I got one of these a week or so ago I responded then smelled a rat. Today got another and have forwarded it to all my speaker friends. Thanks for your blog and your efforts to put these people out of business.

Anonymous said...

I did sign up as a member and have NEVER received any benefit. Thanks for the warning although they have my inital membership money!

Post a Comment