Sunday, August 24, 2008

Does This Email from International Speakers Network Sound Familiar? Don't Fall for This!

I was just contacted by someone who has received one of the ISN marketing emails. If you have been receiving these, please read carefully below! Here's the most recent -- as of 8/24/08:

We are currently working on five bookings for events being planned for 2008- 2009. We need speakers who can speak to these audiences.

The first event will be in August 2008 in Colorado. They are looking for one or two motivational speakers who can talk to members of Blacks in Government for their Annual National Training Conference. The budget is $5,000 per keynote speaker, plus expenses. (There are additional details on the call for presentation form)

The second event is in March 2009 in Texas. They need a keynote speaker for a 90 minute presentation. It will be for a human resource management association. The budget is $7,500, plus expenses. They are looking for someone to speak on human resources. (There are additional details on the call for presentation form)

The third event is in March 2009 in Colorado. They are seeking a keynote speaker for the opening session for a 60 minute presentation on teambuilding. The budget is $7,500, plus expenses. (There are additional details on the call for presentation form)

The fourth event is in May 2009 in North Carolina. They are seeking keynote speakers for the opening session for a 60 minute presentation to Professional Women on topics such as stress, life balance, mentoring, and motivation. The budget is $5,000-7,500, plus expenses. (There are additional details on the call for presentation form)

The fifth event will be in July 2009 in New York. They are looking for one or two speakers who can talk on health, nutrition, and pharmaceutical topics. The budget is $10,000 per keynote speaker, plus expenses. It is for the annual meeting and educational workshop. (There are additional details on the call for presentation form)

We have been expanding lately into various markets and are looking for speakers who are innovative and creative with topics for these markets.

...................................................

OK -- so let me let you in on one of the worst kept secrets there is.... this is a scam. These conferences do not really exist! No they do not!

I fell for these emails, too. It's the reason I lost my money to them. I thought they were real.

Want proof? For one thing -- the only listing that actually tells you much is the first one. It says, "The first event will be in August 2008 in Colorado. They are looking for one or two motivational speakers who can talk to members of Blacks in Government for their Annual National Training Conference. The budget is $5,000 per keynote speaker, plus expenses. (There are additional details on the call for presentation form) "

So I looked up the National Training Conference and sure enough -- it WAS held in August (past tense) -- and it was held in New Orleans! Not Colorado. Oh. Think it was a typo? Think they meant 2009? Guess again -- it will be held in Baltimore, MD in 2009. And in Kansas City, Boston and Detroit after that.

See that "additional details are on the presentation form" thing? That is the disclaimer. If somehow you get one of these emails and you already paid your money, and you call to say "hey, how about me? What am I? Chopped liver? -- because of course, we all fit those profiles -- you will find out that there is some magical exclusion on that presentation form that means you won't fit the profile. Uh-huh. So sorry. These emails are a good exercise in creative writing, no more. And they are good at it. An awful lot of us fall for them!

And let me warn you. Once you sign up and pay them the money they want, those opportunities are never offered again. I don't remember ever hearing about any conference that needed a speaker, keynote or otherwise, once I paid. Nope. Those opportunities seem to have dried right up.

So there you go. Today's lesson. SAVE YOUR MONEY.
...........................................

One commenter (below) asked about getting back at ISN -- see my follow up with ways to do that.
...........................................

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I used to get these emails, too. I signed up for their service a few months ago, but haven't been booked to speak anywhere either. They won't even return my phone calls. I found them on Rip Off Report, and thats how I found this blog. If anybody finds this comment and wants to read Rip Off Report, it's here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/291/RipOff0291778.htm

This guy is right. Don't waste your money.

Anonymous said...

I can echo the issues described in this blog. Has anyone considered a class action suit? Given the number of people scammed, I would think we are talking millions of dollars. Ah, probably not worth the effort. Unfortunately though, that's why they keep scamming everyone.

Anonymous said...

The question is, do we do something about this or not? Besides these postings, what else can be done? The comment was made that we all just assume we can't do anything, but can we?

I lost $ 490.00 to ISN about two years ago and tried to get my money back. I set-up a telephone meeting with David Wright who never called. The people I worked with before were no longer there.

So back to the question, what can be done for ourselves but also for the countless others who will be sucked into this? We can file a Better Business Bureau petition, but where will that lead, especially as we are out of town.
Is this enought for a small class action suit? Any attorney's out there who want to step up?

Burned by ISN said...

Anonymous -- as far as a lawsuit -- I hear you -- and yes, I'm "in" if you want to go there.

As far as reaching out -- I'm going to post about that. I have the ball rolling with this blog, but it will take more.

Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all of you for your information. I am CONSTANTLY getting emails from them and finally considered calling them. I have not spoken to them yet and I won't thanks to all of you!!

Post a Comment